Fresh out of the studio, Dan Neary, Vice President for Meta (formerly Facebook) APAC joined us for an interesting conversation on the company’s re-brand, vision for the metaverse and why this may the biggest opportunity for businesses in Asia Pacific. In the conversation, Dan describes how Meta is helping to build the metaverse & talks about how the current ecosystem of communities, creators, commerce will converge with the next computing platform and create a completely new generation of experiences. Last but not least, he also shares how Meta is working with small businesses to support their digital transformation journey and get them future-ready.
"The important thing is, look, our mission hasn't changed. We're still focusing on helping people connect and finding communities and, and grow businesses. We've just very clearly put a stake in the ground around what we believe is the future. And more and more that's going to take place in the metaverse." - Dan Neary
Here are the links and show notes for this episode:
- Dan Neary, Vice President of Asia Pacific, Meta (or previously known as Facebook) (@danneary, Linkedin)
- As it is in our tradition to ask our first time guests, how did you start your career?
- What are the key lessons from your career journey that you can share with my audience?
- Before we start the conversation on the main subject of the day, I like to baseline our conversations with a key understanding of two concepts: creators’ economy and metaverse. Can you provide a definition of what these two concepts mean to the general audience out there?
- Meta is now the new brand that encompasses Facebook and the other key services for example, Whatsapp, Instagram and Oculus. Can you briefly share Meta & the company’s vision for the metaverse?
- What does this new vision of building the metaverse for Meta mean for Asia Pacific?
- Given that Asia Pacific is different from the other regions in the world, what has Meta done to localize their services in the region?
- We lived for the past two years in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. How did Meta help small and medium businesses to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic and the efforts with partner education programs and ensure vaccination confidence with communities in Asia Pacific?
- How have the different services from Meta: e-commerce, video and augmented reality or virtual reality aka AR/VR evolved and what are the key trends we have observed in Asia Pacific?
- What are your perspectives in the adoption of AR/VR given that Facebook has embraced remote working due to the acceleration caused by the COVID-19 pandemic?
- How does Meta help to build the community of developers in Asia Pacific and jumpstart the creators economy?
- What are the tools that creators can now leverage to reach their audience and build their businesses on top of them?
- Can you provide real examples of how content creators have built value through Meta?
- Specifically in the Asia Pacific region, can you talk about the efforts specifically in Asia Pacific that Meta is making to tackle the inundation of information and reduce misinformation to the people and communities within Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp?
- How are you working with the regulatory authorities in the region? What are the complexities in navigating the difficulties of dealing with misinformation?
- What does great look like for Meta in the Asia Pacific region for the next three years?
- Since we are at the start of 2022, what are you looking forward to this year?
- Any recommendations that have inspired you recently? (For example, a book, podcast, game or movie)?
- How do my audience find you? (please feel free to plug your social media tools and your company’s as well)