Smartkarma & Fintech in Asia with Raghav Kapoor
Raghav Kapoor, CEO & co-founder of Smartkarma joined us for a conversation on his company and a broad conversation on fintech in Asia. Drawing from his experience and background in finance, Raghav talked about the origins of Smartkarma and his vision to build it towards a premium collaborative research marketplace. We also discussed the emerging fintech industry and the important observations and trends which distinguished Asia from the rest of the world.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the discussion (with time-stamps included):
- Raghav Kapoor, CEO and co-founder, Smartkarma (@ragkap, LinkedIn)
- How did you get started in your career?
- From your career in the equities research business, what are the interesting career lessons you can share?
- Smartkarma (@smartkarma, Facebook)
- What is the mission and vision for Smartkarma?
- What is the problem that you are trying to solve as a premier collaborative research marketplace?
- Who are the customers to Smartkarma?
- As a multi sided marketplace, how does insight providers and partners operate within your platform?
- Which are the institutions who has signed on as contributors?
- What is the revenue model for the platform? Is it similar to Spotify, as the platform is known to be the spotify of Asian research?
- You have recently raised a total of US$7.5M, who are the investors and how did you pull it off and what will you be doing with the investment?
- The Fintech Industry across Asia Pacific
- How does someone define fintech in Asia now?
- What are the ongoing trends in the fintech industry?
- Everyone talked about the banks being disrupted, what is the underlying problem from your view?
- In the research insights business, a lot of people talked about the softening economy in 2016 from the recent China equities crash to some countries entering into technical recessions, instead of asking you how bad it is going to get, I like to ask what are the interesting opportunities you see coming up?
- Google Play
- Product Hunt
The show is hosted by Bernard Leong (@bleongcw) and are sponsored by Ideal Workspace (Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn) with their new Altizen Desk on Indiegogo (Twitter, Facebook, Medium). Also check out Ideal Workspace’s new standing desk, Altizen and sign up for their mailing list. Sound credits for the intro music: Taro Iwashiro, “The Beginning” from Red Cliff Soundtrack.