Fresh out of the studio, Sandeep Nailwal, co-founder of Polygon joined us to discuss the origin story of the Polygon blockchain and its evolution as a layer-2 chain for builders out there. Sandeep started with his backstory and how it led to the creation of the polygon blockchain followed by the subsequent evolution into a layer-2 chain within the Ethereum ecosystem. He shared his perspectives on the key trends of web3 and offered advice to builders there on how they should navigate in the midst of the current crypto downturn. Last but not least, he shared what great would look like for Polygon in the next few years.
"For me, it's only about daily active users. I feel in the next five years, especially for the whole ecosystem. I'm not talking about Polygon first - let's say for the whole blockchain ecosystem… In [the] next five years, if we don't reach somewhere between 50 to 100 million users, I think we would've failed very badly. So all apps. I'm talking about all apps in all ecosystems, layer one, layer two, all the apps - payments, Bitcoin, everything included. We should have 50 to 100 million daily active users. Obviously, for Polygon, we want to capture as much market share out of that: 50 to 100 million. If Polygon remains the number one adopted amongst those daily active users, it will be a great scenario for Polygon." - Sandeep Nailwal
- Sandeep Nailwal, co-founder of Polygon (@sandeepnailwal, Linkedin)
- We like to dive into your origin story. How did you start your career?
- What led you to blockchain technology that eventually led to the beginning of Matic which became Polygon today?
- What are the interesting career lessons that you can share with my audience?
Polygon (main site) and the evolution of layer-2 chains in Web3
- Before we begin, can you introduce the concept of layer 2 in the Ethereum ecosystem and the role of Polygon as a layer 2 chain in the blockchain ecosystem?
- What is the vision and mission of Polygon blockchain?
- What is the key set of problems that the polygon blockchain seeks to address today?
- What are the highlights of the polygon blockchain in the past few years?
- Polygon raises $450M from Sequoia Capital India, SoftBank and Tiger Global [Source: TechCrunch]
- MATIC Surges as Disney Chooses Polygon for Accelerator Program [Source: Coindesk]
- MATIC Jumps 20% in a Day After Instagram's Polygon NFT Minting Reveal [Source: Decrypt]
- How does the Polygon chain distinguish itself from the other layer-2 chains out there?
- What interesting applications have you seen in the polygon ecosystem, for example, decentralized finance (DeFi), web3 games, and applications that involve non-fungible tokens (NFTs)?
- How does the polygon foundation help developers to jumpstart the development of decentralized apps (DApps)?
- Can you talk about how Polygon has incorporated zero-knowledge rollups into the blockchain and what it enables developers to do with the blockchain?
- What are your thoughts on the recent crypto crash brought forth by a few key events (Luna-Terra collapse, 3AC, and FTX crash)?
- What will be your advice to all the builders who may have lost some confidence with the recent crypto crash?
- What are the key trends in Web3 that you are most excited about?
- What does great look like for Polygon blockchain in the next few years?
- Any recommendations that have inspired you recently?
- Sandeep's recommendation: The Alamanck of Naval Ravikant by Eric Jorgenson
- How can my audience find you?