Fresh out of the studio, Ahmed Elhusseiny, the area head of the Asia Pacific in Roche Pharmaceuticals joined us in a discussion on how healthcare has been transformed in the Asia Pacific and what we have learned during the COVID-19 pandemic. We began Ahmed's career journey and continued with the story of Roche Pharmaceuticals in the Asia Pacific. Ahmed dived deep into the key trends of healthcare specifically personalized healthcare which is augmented by digital tools and data. Last but not least, Ahmed shares what great would look like for Roche Pharmaceuticals in the Asia Pacific.
"Because of the pandemic, we all became patients. We all became aware of diagnostic tools [and] therapeutic interventions. The level of awareness that exists now around this specific topic is very high, but it also translates into us being more aware of why it's important to be preventative. The mask is preventative, exercise in the post-pandemic world is preventative for heart conditions, and there's a much larger appetite now to start looking at how we can work together in partnership to identify those things that allow us to intervene early in order to prevent or to slow down any types of conditions that could happen to individuals and shift the narrative around how we approach healthcare in Asia. This is absolutely necessary because of the challenges that we face and it will be totally enabled by data and technology. So the tools for that exist. The biggest question really is how we start to implement them." - Ahmed Elhusseiny
- Ahmed Elhusseiny, Area Head of APAC at Roche Pharmaceuticals (Linkedin)
- How did you start your career?
- What are the most interesting career lessons which you can share with my audience?
Roche Pharmaceuticals & Transforming Healthcare in Asia Pacific
- Roche Pharmaceuticals and Transforming Healthcare in Asia Pacific
- As an introduction to my audience, can you talk about the global vision and mission of Roche and what it is currently doing in Asia Pacific?
- What is your role and coverage in Roche?
- To start, we went through the global COVID-19 pandemic for the past two and half years, and now in a post-pandemic world, what were the key challenges for the healthcare industry during that period?
- How were new systems and innovative health-tech solutions implemented to address the needs of the patients during the COVID-19 pandemic? [You can address this from Roche’s point of view]
- Given the challenges during the pandemic and given that it is difficult for any healthcare organization to do it alone, how did Roche manage to work with partners in the ecosystem to overcome the issues?
- What are the interesting lessons we have drawn from implementing these new digital technologies accelerated out of the need from a pandemic?
- Can you share examples or case studies of the digital technologies that were implemented for the COVID-19 pandemic and are now being re-purposed for other uses? [Reference: Ahmed mentioned in this panel the example of a track and trace app in Malaysia that is now repurposed for diabetes patients' use]
- Given the lessons learned from the pandemic, we are now shifting to a post-pandemic world. What re-thinking do we need for the healthcare system in the Asia Pacific region? [Reference: How to make data-enabled healthcare a reality in Asia-Pacific]
- Can you define how data and personalized healthcare can be enabled for the Asia Pacific region to enable better delivery of healthcare?
- How do we measure the effectiveness of personalized healthcare? [Reference: Asia Personalized Healthcare Index]
- What does great look like for Roche in the Asia Pacific for the next few years?
- Any recommendations that have inspired you recently?
- Ahmed's recommendation: "In the Dragon's Shadow: Southeast Asia in the Chinese Century" by Sebastian Strangio
- How does my audience find you?'