SAP in the Asia Pacific, Sustainability & the Future of Work with Paul Marriott
Fresh out of the studio, Paul Marriott, the President, SAP in the Asia Pacific and Japan, joined us to discuss the footprint of the business in the region, sustainability and the future of work. Paul explained how the SAP platform is incorporating sustainability, specifically in tackling scope three carbon emissions with the network applications. Last but not least, he offered fresh perspectives on the future of work and the key things to watch out for as we transition into a hybrid work environment.
"So these three things, continue the digital transformation, the business networks and the supply chain resilience, both of those underpinning solving for scope three [carbon emissions], circular process and a more sustainable future for Asia. The opportunity we have ahead of us, to solve for what I think, are really profound problems that the planet needs to obviously solve." - Paul Marriott
- Paul Marriott, President, SAP Asia Pacific Japan (LinkedIn)
- As it is your first time on the podcast, we want to dive into your origin story. How did you start your career?
- Whthe at brought you to Asia Pacific? What have you learned about Asia through living and working in different countries here?
- Can you share the key learnings or lessons from your career journey?
SAP in Asia Pacific & Sustainability
- Can you briefly introduce SAP and what is its vision and mission globally?
- What is your current role and coverage in SAP?
- What are the key business activities in SAP across the Asia Pacific and Japan?
- As a CIO myself along with the CFO, SAP is the bread and butter of how we manage our financial reporting, financial planning and analysis (FP&A), and expenses. What are the other aspects of SAP which you would want customers to know?
- Can you talk about the success stories of customers from different verticals in the Asia Pacific that have achieved success with SAP and its cloud computing offerings?
- I like to talk about two interesting areas I did not know about before this interview: (1) helping startups with the SAP ecosystem with SAP.io and (2) sustainability with the green token.
- Let’s start with the startups, how does SAP facilitate startups to build their innovations on SAP.io?
- Are there programs which startups can tap into in working with SAP? Have you seen interesting innovations in the Asia Pacific that allowed startups to tap into the ecosystem at large?
- On the sustainability front, can you talk about GreenToken from SAP and how it helps your customers to track the supply chain transparently and efficiently?
- What are the benefits of using GreenToken in ensuring sustainability for the customer, for example, in carbon emissions, and manufacturing?
- What does great look like for SAP in Asia Pacific & Japan moving ahead?
Future of Work
- The COVID-19 pandemic is the largest accelerator that has brought remote work to the forefront. As we move from a pandemic to an endemic phase, where do you think employers will move towards: fully remote, hybrid or fully back in the office?
- What are the cultural practices which we need to put in place for remote work to succeed, for example, communication with teams and performance assessment of teams?
- What are the trends from technologies to social practices in workplaces that you are seeing in the future of work and what are the key things you will be watching out for to make the future of work happen?
- Any recommendations that have inspired you recently?
- Paul’s recommendations: Rebel Talent by Francesca Gino.
- How can my audience find you?
Sponsored by Esevel, which helps your in-house team by taking cumbersome tasks off their hands and giving them tools to manage IT effectively. Get help across the Asia Pacific from onboarding, procuring devices, to real-time IT support and offboarding. With the state-of-the-art platform, you can gain full control of all your IT infrastructure in one place. Esevel's team of IT support pros is keen to help you grow! Check out Esevel and get a demo today. Use our referral code “asia” for 10% off. Terms and conditions apply.