Fresh out of the studio, Josh Ye, tech reporter from South China Morning Post (SCMP) joined us to discuss the evolution of Tencent, the tech giant in China specifically with respect to the recent gaming crackdown by the Chinese government. Josh discussed the impact of the regulations to the entire gaming industry and how Tencent will focus their efforts towards overseas expansion. Last but not least, he presented the future of the gaming industry in China.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the discussion:
- Josh Ye (@therealjoshye, Linkedin, SCMP Profile) South China Morning Post
- How did you start your career?
- What’s your current role and coverage for SCMP?
- What are the lessons you can share on your career journey with our audience?
- Tencent and the crackdown of gaming companies in China
- For our audience, Tencent is a well-known Internet company, the T in BAT and they are a major force in areas including digital communications with WeChat, payments with Wechat pay, and of course esports and the gaming industry. They are a key investor or owner to a few major gaming studios in the world: Riot Games (100%), Supercell (84%), Leyou (100%), Epic Games (40%).
- With that being said, can you provide an overview of their influence in the gaming industry within China and the rest of the world?
- Recently, the Chinese government has launched a heavy crackdown on big tech in China. How has Tencent been affected by the regulatory crackdown in the process?
- What is the Chinese government’s rationale for the crackdown in the gaming industry?
- Specifically in the gaming and esports space, how has Tencent responded to the criticisms, for example, China Daily editorial has branded gaming as “spiritual opium”?
- Has Tencent’s actions, for example, cutting kids’ playing time appeased the Chinese government?
- How does Beijing’s crackdown on Tencent’s gaming business impact their gaming businesses worldwide? Is it just lowering the access of the global gaming studios into China or are there any unintended consequences?
- A rising tide can lift or sink all boats. So, how about the other gaming giants in China, for example, Netease and Bilibili? How will they be affected by this crackdown?
- Given the limits set by the Chinese government, where do you think Tencent will focus their efforts on, moving forward?
- Do you have something to recommend like a book or podcast?
- Where can our audience find you?
- RSS Feed
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Play
- Overcast FM
- Facebook Video
- Facebook Page
The show is hosted and produced by Carol Yin (@CarolYujiaYin) and originally created by Bernard Leong (@bernardleong, Linkedin). Sound credits for the intro music: Taro Iwashiro, “The Beginning” from Red Cliff Soundtrack.