Fresh out of the studio, Simon Kemp, CEO and founder of Kepios shared his perspectives on the Digital 2022 report and broke down the key takeaways from the report specific to Asia Pacific. Simon provided the context and explained how trust in news across different channels is measured and understood and at the same time, debunked the key assertion that Facebook is dying. He also dived deep on Tik Tok's global influence and discuss how the digital report will include web3 from now to the next decade.
"The reality is you've got the same person using multiple platforms. Now you can either then look at that and say, I can show the same ad to the same person, multiple times across different platforms. Or you can say to yourself, I now have the opportunity to reach the same person with different things in different context, at different moments of their lives on different platforms. Ideally you go with a second one, but admittedly, that's a lot more work." - Simon Kemp
- Simon Kemp (@eskimon, LinkedIn), Founder & CEO of Kepios
- Since our last conversation a few years back, what have you been up to?
The State of Digital Across Asia Pacific in 2022
- Digital 2022 (Reference: July Global Statshot Report)
- Given that we are in the middle of the year 2022, what is the global state of digital adoption globally and in Asia Pacific?
- Are we reaching the inflection point of digital growth?
- One interesting part of the report is the understanding of how users access news. Can you briefly provide an overview of the media channels used for news?
- What are the social platforms that are used to access digital news? Is there a regional bias given the tools available, for example, only WeChat or Toutiao for China?
- How do you measure trust in news?
- What can we learn from the use of social media as a source of news?
- What are the key uses of social apps in 2022? Are they different from the past decade?
- The age-old question: is Facebook declining or is it just a myth based on your recent July snapshot?
- In Asia Pacific, how is the battle between Facebook and Tik Tok shaping out?
- Do you think that Meta’s relentless copying of Tik Tok with Instagram will bear fruit in the end?
- How is advertising growing on Tik Tok? How is it different from advertising coming from Facebook, Twitter or Instagram?
- Which platforms do most people use for videos? Is it Tik Tok, Instagram or YouTube?
- I notice that the report has now covered cryptocurrency. What are the key indicators that you look for in covering this new space?
- The awareness of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) is an interesting one. How are people relating to NFTs and do they see it differently than the other spot tokens out there like Ethereum and Bitcoin?
- What are the key things that you will be looking out for the rest of 2022?
- Any recommendations which have inspired you recently?
- Simon's recommendations: Articles by Tom Wainwright in the Economist
- How can my audience find you?